From Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (Regarding the Russian Revolution):

From Dr. Zhivago by Boris Pasternak (Regarding the Russian Revolution):
".....If you charged someone with the task of creating a new world, of starting a new era, he would ask you first to clear the ground. He would wait for the old centuries to finish before undertaking to build the new ones, he'd want to begin a new paragraph, a new page.

"But here, they don't bother with anything like that. This new thing, this marvel of history, this revelation, is exploded right into the very thick of daily life without the slightest consideration for its course. It doesn't start at the beginning, it starts in the middle, without any schedule, on the first weekday that comes along, while the traffic in the street is at its height....."
They cut down the trees, they burned them, they even pulled up a few stumps. The roots, they were simply buried too deep...They are coming back to the surface now, springing forth new life, in the spectacular green of early spring....Strider

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Return Trip to Germany


A follow-up trip was needed to Germany, which I managed to fit in on my way back from my work assignment in Russia. First on the agenda was to fill in the holes on my mother's side of the family tree, with related photos. First I met with tante Hildegard and gleaned information and pictures from her, as well as a visit to two local cemeteries – named simply the “old” cemetery and the “new” cemetery. The cemeteries in Germany formed a much different impression from what I was used to in American cemeteries. Hildegard appears to be the appointed caretaker of the graves of both her paternal and maternal side, as well as yet another friend with whom she worked with, who “has no one else to take care of it”. Both cemeteries are walking distance from her house, centrally located in the city. She goes there about every other day in the summer and waters the flowers on the graves. The cemeteries are somewhat of a meeting place for the local community, structured like parks, with nice walkways, bike paths and access to watering cans and cisterns for watering the flowers on the graves. They are very beautiful and peaceful places for taking a quiet stroll.

Next on the list was my uncle George, mom's and Hildegard's brother. He is getting on in years and seems to have lost interest in the trail of ancestry. He had a good treasure of old photos, although I was a bit disappointed in the way they were catalogued, or rather randomly stored in shoe boxes. I am now careful to point out to folks the need to label their photos with the where, when and who. I found a lot of old photos where George could not even tell me who was in the picture. I scanned them anyway to see if perhaps my mother will recognize them.

On Tuesday I boarded a train from Augsburg to Giforn to visit the paternal side again. My major objective turned out to be a dud. The wife of my deceased uncle, whom I thought could help with some of the early photos of Rohrbach, was no help whatsoever. She did not grow up in Rohrbach, and apparently her husband never shared any photos of his family with her. “Can't help you, I don't know any of these people” signalled pretty much the end of our brief conversation. Nevertheless I was able to meet with both cousins there and fill in the missing data on their children and grandchildren.

My disappointment with my uncle's wife was more that compensated on Friday, when, on an unscheduled trip to Osnabruck (about 100 km from Wesendorf), we visited a relative who was the son of my dad's aunt Lidia (hence dad's first cousin through marriage), and had known dad in Rohrbach. He had kept in touch with dad over the years, and had once made a visit to the U.S. to see my father when I was still young. This man, age 75, shares my passion for history, remembers dates and times like they were yesterday, and talked endlessly about our family and the times in Rohrbach. My cousin Eduard and I were invited (or somewhat invited ourselves) there for lunch, and by 5:00 we were still talking. He recommended several books (in German) which I am going to seek out in English versions. I definitely want to do some follow-up with him. At his age, his mind is still a treasure of information.

The two days in Wesendorf and Osnabruck has turned up another leaf on the tree. My dad's aunt Sophia married a man named Petrokevich, who had a son and a daughter. The son ended up in England with my father and is no longer alive, but could very well have had children. I believe I may have met the daughter of Petrokevich in Wesendorf. She wasn't clear on the lineage, and seemed to confuse paternal and maternal sides, but I believe I have enough information to track this one down. This could turn up some relatives in England and in other parts of Germany, as well as eventually someone who may still be in Russia.

After Osnabruck, we drove to Bad Oeynhausen to see the son of my dad's other brother. He has two sons, both married, one with children. We had a great dinner and a few toasts of the famous Russian tradition (vodka of course). After lunch in Osnabruck and dinner in Bad Oeynhausen, I don't need to eat for a week. Of course, Lilly called from Karlsruhe and wanted to know my arrival time the next day. I am boarding a train in the morning for my final leg of the paternal visits.

Lilly and Eduard are the last two of the Eduard line of my father's brothers. I was able to clairify a few things while I was in Karlsruhe. First of all, the mystery of how Eduard managed to have a family while in prison. The truth is, he was a free man until 1957, when he was arrested as a former German soldier and sentenced to 25 years in prison. He was apparently identified by an informer, and things went quickly after that. His family then moved to Siberia with a relative of his wife. Times were bad for them, and when my dad's other brother visited them in Siberia, he saw how bad things were and took them with him to Kazakhstan.

The other mystery of destinations after World War II seems to be clearing up a bit as well. Fridolin to the Ural mountains, Eduard to Ufa, then family to Siberia, Sophia marries Petrokevich and goes to Orenburg, Heinrich (I think) still ends up in the Caucasus mountain region. My dad, by this time, is on the run in England, Belgium and finally back to Germany to try and re-unite with his relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment